Aug 30, 2011

Adventures in baking...






I have always secretly envied people who bake effortlessly. Baking scares me. I feel like it requires insane amounts of skill and patience...seriously, have you ever cracked an egg? Skill. And. Patience. 
I guess my fear begins there; I love to cook but still get nervous cracking an egg, and as I write that I am imagining those ambidextrous chefs on t.v. who can crack an egg with one hand while the other hand stuffs a turkey or makes flambĂ©. I however, feel like I look ridiculous and less than graceful handling a whisk. 
So this year I am turning a new leaf. I would actually like to start being a contributor to my mother-in-law’s goodie tray at Christmas (because it’s famous). I help as much as I can at the Christmas bake, but often find myself decorating gingerbread cookies with the kids instead (and despite my artistic abilities, I am a lame cookie decorator). So, I have a whisk and a good, fool proof, low-tech hand mixer. I am setting out to learn what caster sugar is, and since every recipe seems to call for it, I am on a mission to locate a vanilla bean.
 To ease my way in I decided to start with a chocolate mousse...now I know this doesn’t really require any “baking” and it didn’t call for a vanilla bean either so I’m not sure if it even qualifies as a dessert, but the fact that it calls for pure chocolate did it for me. How could I pass this up? And then I remembered these great tea cups I picked up at the antique market and immediately had some photo styling direction. It’s the perfect dessert to serve this way, in dainty, mix and match tea cups (It’s so good, I wish I had thought of it, but lots of people have been serving mousse this way). How fun would this be for a bridal shower or even a wedding though? 
Since the recipe for this is so simple, and it barely took any time at all, I definitely had more fun styling the photos. I love raspberries and red currants always remind of my childhood. I have this great memory of my grandma putting two tablespoons of sugar in the bottom of an enameled tin mug, a blue one, and sending me out to the garden to fill it with berries. She had raspberries and strawberries and bushes of goose berry and red and black currants. It was heaven. I would fill my mug with a balanced assortment and then mash it up with the sugar. Best. Dessert. Ever...


Photos by: me, Kinga Subject

1 comment:

Daniella said...

Mmmmm, looks great Kinga!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...