Oct 3, 2011

Adventures in baking...{4}




























...Apple Crisp with Pomegranate. This past weekend was really cold here and it's hard for me to admit this, but I have officially worn my winter jacket, so staying inside to do some fall baking was just what I needed. I opted to make some apple crisp, but instead of keeping it traditional, I decided to make this
version which includes pomegranate seeds.
There is much to love about pomegranates. In addition to their great colouring, they are full of vitamin C, potassium, fiber and antioxidants. They have been dubbed a super food, but aside from that, they taste great!

This recipe turned out really well, and I will definitely be making it this way from now on. The pomegranate seeds add a bit of extra crunch with a punch of flavour! If you haven't used pomegranates much but are thinking of trying it I suggest fresh ones of course, but they require some work getting the seeds out. The first time I attempted this myself it looked like I massacred something in the kitchen. There was pom juice on everything and need I say that pom juice is not forgiving? It stains! Permanently! Now, there seems to be quite a bit of debate about how to properly de-seed a pomegranate but for me the method that worked the best is the one shown here. The bowl of water helped me keep the mess to a minimum, you just have to be gentle with the arils (seeds) so you don't burst them.

Anyway, it's officially Monday (too soon yet again), but I hope you've had a great weekend! I have been busy working on building up inventory for the shop launch and also working out some pesky silk screening issues (with help from the hubby of course)...but this week I hope to establish more of a schedule, which will include more regular and consistent blogging...so stay tuned.

Photos by: me, Kinga Subject

4 comments:

Kate said...

Yum! I love pomegranates, I they look beautiful in your photographs!

Lauren said...

Popping over from BYW, and I just love your photographs! The Creative Habit is one of my faves too...

Kinga said...

Kate - Thanks! they were pretty yummy!

Lauren - Thanks for stopping by! Are you enjoying class? I find that all of a sudden I have sooooooo much to read and discover!

Carla said...

Hi Kinga, just found you via BYW and love your photography and blog. These photos are exquisite and I adore the colours you have used. I look forward to staying in touch. CArla

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...