Oct 4, 2011

Always inspiring...





















It seems that posting about books I love is becoming a weekly thing (which was totally unintentional at first)...but this week I want to share my love for  Design Sponge At Home written by Grace Bonney.
I have been following the Design Sponge blog since 2006, my final year in design school, and it has been a favourite read and source of daily creative inspiration. Needless to say I was super excited about this book when it was announced...and even more excited when I received it in the mail a few weeks ago.

Most of you know about the blog and the book so I'm sorry for being redundant, but I wanted to share that the inspiration from the blog has been creeping into my life pretty significantly. I love the sneak peeks and the before and afters because they give glimpses into people's creative homes along with their DIY projects and they inspire people, like me, with a love for interiors and design but not necessarily the budget, to reuse, recycle and make things pretty...again.

It was due to some inspiration from Design Sponge that we decided to replace our store bought,  mass manufactured dining set with a used mid-century modern set complete with a sideboard and in need of some serious refinishing. We worked on it as a team, which I highly recommend to any newlywed couple. If it doesn't kill you, or destroy your marriage, it will only lead to other collaborative projects and a home that reflects your personality.

It was also due to Design*Sponge that we designed and built the cube shown in the photos above. I really liked the result of this painting technique and decided that I wanted to try it myself but I first needed some help from my resident carpenter (husband). He made the cube out of oak (because it has nice grain) and I painted it with  the tree motif using frisket, stain, and white paint. Then my resident carpenter put the varnish on and sanded it down until it was silky smooth. So we now have a great little coffee table cube that we use next to a storage ottoman in our living area thanks to a little inspiration from Design Sponge!

If you don't already read the blog, you should, and I highly recommend the book! It has many sneak peeks and before & afters with instructional DIY inspiration as well as a section on flower arrangements...

Happy Tuesday!

Photos by: me, Kinga Subject, and you can buy the book here and here

5 comments:

Heather / It's So Suburban said...

Kinga, that cube is amazing! I love it.

Nina said...

Just stumbled over from the BYW homework forum...The cube looks amazing! Also love your photography!

leah of sang the bird said...

Great styling. The cube is amazing! x

Kinga said...

Thanks so much everyone! We had so much fun with this project...

eeli said...

Beautiful! Greetings from BYW! Eeli

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...