Oct 24, 2011

Breakfast...


























With all my complaining over the last little while about mornings and my general lack of enthusiasm for getting out of bed I realized that my morning routine needs to be revitalized. I am a busy person and it seems that I am always working so when the alarm goes off in the morning I let myself off the hook. I tell myself it's ok to hit snooze because I worked late the night before and deserve a few extra zzz's...and so begins the awful cycle. Most mornings I grab breakfast on the run, and lately the winner seems to be coffee and a muffin...and while I always opt for bran it's not exactly the picture of a balanced breakfast.

A while back the quinoa bandwagon rolled on by and I took off in a swift sprint and hopped right on! That's right! I just confessed that I hopped on the quinoa bandwagon. I'm not ashamed to admit that the reason I bought it to begin with was because I heard it is the new superfood, but please know that these are not claims I generally buy into, however, after I did some reading about quinoa I was convinced that trying it couldn't hurt.
And then I fell in love! For me the appeal of food is as much about texture as it is flavour and the grainy texture of quinoa really has me hooked. I love that it takes on all kinds of flavours and still maintains a hint of nuttiness. The first time I tried it I just tossed cooked quinoa with my favourite veggies and dressed it with lime juice, olive oil and a hint of garlic. I could eat this salad every day and because it keeps so well in the fridge I often make a really large batch of it and take it for lunch the next day or two.

Because I now genuinely crave quinoa all the time I find myself searching for recipes to try so I recently picked up the Quinoa 365: The Everyday Superfood book by Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming. It is my new favourite addition to the collection and has all kinds of recipes, some of which are gluten free, and most of them are vegetarian or offer a vegetarian option and the best part....breakfast quinoa. What I've noticed about quinoa is that it gives me energy (lots of it), which I seem to be lacking in the morning, so I have been playing around with some recipes from the book and decided to share this one. It's called "Raisin Spice Cereal" and contains cooked quinoa with rolled oats, cinnamon, nutmeg and raisins topped with vanilla yogurt and toasted almond slices. Doesn't that sound delicious? Well it is! In fact, my husband likes to eat it for dessert instead...which is a perfectly fine, healthy option.

I'd be glad to e-mail you the recipe but definitely suggest the book which you can buy here and here and also check out the Quinoa 365 website.

If you've never tried quinoa, the next time you're at the bookstore, flip through the book and read the sections on why it's a  healthy option...that alone might convince you to try it...
If you have tried it and love it as much as I do, what's your favourite way to prepare/eat it?

3 comments:

Kate said...

I've been meaning to try quinoa! I'll have to look for it next time I'm at the store.

Danielle said...

I love love love quinoa!! It's so high in protein, iron, and fibre so how could you go wrong eating it?? I sautee celery, then add the quinoa with veggie broth, tumeric, curry and other veggies!! So yummy!!

Kinga said...

Kate - It really is that good...I was skeptical at first but now always keep some in the house...makes for a good snack too!

Danielle - That sounds sooo good! I will have to try it...Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...