Oct 18, 2011

Drawn in...



Well, by now I have definitely established that I have a deep appreciation for books and I think I may have mentioned before that the creative process fascinates me...A few times? In my own work I usually love the process more than the finished product and with most things in life I am interested in the elemental little pieces that make up the whole. I always want to know the history and the evolution of things and people. I love retracing the little steps that led to giant leaps which is partly why I love blogs so much. 

The first time I stumbled upon Book by its Cover (through the Decor8 blogroll page), I was pulled in by the multitude of books and art publications featured, but what keeps me going back is the occasional sketchbook that is displayed for the world to see. I'm not quite sure that I would be brave enough to share my sketchbooks with the world in the same way so I found this very inspiring...

The blog is managed by illustrator extraordinaire Julia Rothman, whose work I admire, and just recently her concept of showcasing artists' sketchbooks was conveyed in this book called Drawn In. There are pages upon pages of some very intriguing sketchbooks along with descriptions and answers to questions by the artists themselves...it just doesn't get any better than that! 

Then, Michelle at Viva Revival reminded me about the Sketchbook Project. I have heard people talk about this before but never really looked into what it is until yesterday (thanks Michelle) and after a little deliberation I decided to sign up. I think it will be a fun way to stay creative over the next few months. Check out the website to learn what it's all about...and maybe you'll be tempted to sign up too, but if you do let me know so I can look for your book when the tour comes to Toronto next year!

Photos by: me, Kinga Subject. Book cover design and photography for Drawn In by ALSO and Kipling Swehla

4 comments:

Michelle * Viva Revival said...

Judging by the pics, it looks like you're going to be great at the sketchbook project!

Kinga said...

Thanks Michelle...It'll be interesting to do this...Thanks again for the inspiration!

Tori said...

I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Tina Riddell said...

What a fun project! To bad I cannot doodle very well! Have fun with it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...