Oct 17, 2011

Rustic Risotto...















































Hello and happy Monday to you! Hope you've all had a delicious weekend. I had this post ready to share with you last week and then didn't post it because part of me was re-evaluating whether I want to continue posting my photos of food. I love to cook, that's no secret, but I love photographing food more than cooking it. I have also been talking about finding my groove on this blog and establishing a schedule of sorts and I'm not sure where a post like this one fits in...but for now I think I will continue with it...cooking and photographing food is just another creative outlet for me and a significant part of my life so why not share it...

Anyway, a few weeks ago I was at the market and found some chanterelles which I have never seen at the market before. There were only a few small baskets left so I picked some up along with some portabellas and headed home to make a mushroom risotto. Chanterelles always remind me of my childhood because when we lived in Transylvania we used to go foraging for mushrooms (among other things). My mom is an expert of sorts and knows which ones to pick, which ones to avoid and where to find them. Foraging, berry picking, and picking herbs in the wild, like mint and chamomile, were some of my favourite ways to spend time with my family.

I followed this risotto recipe but if you've ever made risotto you probably know that there is significant room for experimentation (which I like) as long as you keep it relatively simple...I made the risotto and then for old times sake I pan fried some portabella tops with some olive oil and then sprinkled them with cheese (this was the most common way we used to eat fresh portabellas we just picked). Then I stacked some risotto on top and added some red pepper and a smidgen of balsamic vinegar.
And there you have it....a rustic risotto full of flavour!

Enjoy the rest of your day and check out this foraging video posted by my friend Daniella and also some tales of seasonal foraging over on my new favourite read Crackers (penned by another one of my design peers Jesse Senko and his wife Melanie). Crackers focuses on becoming supermarket free which is definitely a dream of mine...to have a garden, a chicken coop and to buy things locally and in season...so reading about a young family that is leading by example and making it look so easy, with great photography, is hugely inspiring!

Photos by: me, Kinga Subject

2 comments:

Michelle * Viva Revival said...

Beautiful! I think you should keep posting food photos! Your photos are really amazing. Great post.

Kinga said...

Michelle - Thank you! I will keep it up I think...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...