Nov 14, 2011

Adventures in baking...{6}































Hello friends, I hope you're having a good day. On the weekend I attempted a pretty daunting baking adventure and I'm happy to report I survived. It was my first attempt at making macaroons and opted to make them with a pear confiture. They turned out delicious, perfectly sweet and they melted in the mouth just like macaroons are supposed to, although they did not look too pretty.

Don't act like you're not sitting there judging my macaroons for their sad appearance. I know all too well that they are not uniform in shape and size and I could have been more generous with the food colouring but I am not a pastry chef and if you are, please send any all suggestions my way.

Making these little delights definitely brought out my obsessive compulsive need for perfection. I made two batches and got started on a third but had to abort mission when I ran out of ground almonds and realized my kitchen looked like a disaster zone. Now I find myself brainstorming ideas of how I could improve the process as if my life depends on it...and I realize that first I need to improve my pastry bag skills. If you could have seen me you would have been laughing hysterically. You know the episode of I Love Lucy when she goes to work at the chocolate factory with Ethel and the line is going too fast for them and so in desperation they start to shove chocolates in their mouths...my scrambling with the pastry bag felt desperate just like that. There was batter everywhere; I even took the dog out in the middle of macaroon madness and realized in the elevator on the way in that I had dried batter all over my face...no wonder my neighbours looked at me like I was insane.

Anyway, this is not the last you'll see of my macaroons...next time there will be significant improvement. So how about you? Have you made macaroons? Did it go better for you than it did for me?

Photos by: me, Kinga Subject

12 comments:

Michelle * Viva Revival said...

Wow! I for one think they look great, I've heard they are really hard to make! I wanted them for my wedding so bad, but never got around to it. Amazing photos once again, you are so good at the styling! That's something I'm trying to work on.

Carla said...

HI Kinga, I love them!! Brava, they look amazing and your photos and colours are beautiful. YOu should be very proud of yourself.. Great photography.. CArla

Andrea Victoria said...

Gorgeous photos here, Kinga! Great job on your first attempt at making macarons - having made them before they are not easy, haha.

Lauren said...

Beautiful photos, as always. As far as the baking goes: you are a braver soul than I!

Daniella said...

Pffft, these look great Kinga! I don't know what you're talking about! Even the ones at the french bakery near me don't look this uniform - no joke. I bet they were so good! And pear is such a unique flavour to try. Lemon are my favourite.

inspirationCOOPERATIVE said...

Not for a second did I think any of your macaroons looked imperfect - I was drooling over the photos and styling too much (ha!).

Kinga said...

Thanks Everyone...I really do appreciate it... I should have posted a picture of all the broken, oblong, overfilled ones LOL. They were pretty funny. I do have this obsession with perfecting these though...it's bordering on craziness just a tad.

Gudy said...

I love the pear images, it just looks like a big styling set! Shouldn´t you do food styling too :-) ???

leslie said...

Gorgeous photos...seriously lovely. I love the soft lighting...xo

Catherine said...

The pictures as well as the macaroons look great! I love the styling you did with the pears. Great work. :)

Linda Leyble said...

Great post - great pictures. I have been thinking about macaroons lately - I don't know why! I was wondering what is in a macaroon!

Thanks for your lovely post!

Linda

Cali said...

Wow, so impressive!
I have been trying to work up the courage to try baking some of these for myself for months now.
Pear? I am battling major cravings, they look delicious.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...