Nov 11, 2011

A gorgeous renovation...


























































Hello and happy Friday! Hope you're all doing well today.
So, yesterday I mentioned that I had something fun to share and I was hoping that I would get to it sooner but life gets in the way sometimes and so does daylight savings time. Because it now gets dark so early I ran out of natural light to snap photos of the December issue of Grand Magazine (our local/regional magazine), which has a four page article about a reno project that is near and dear to my heart. 

My husband's aunt and uncle, Debbie and Mark Ryan, are the epitome of do-it-yourself-ers. As long as I have known them they have been renovating something. Their most recent project began three years ago with the purchase of a gorgeous eleven-acre country property on which stood a house in need of some serious help. On the first night they spent in their new home with their three kids, they tore out the hideous kitchen and haven't looked back. Since then, they have added a 2000-square-foot addition which includes a master suite that of course contains a gorgeous bathroom with stand alone tub, his and hers vanities and built in bookshelves. The first time I saw it I had to ask if they were aware that there is a library in their bathroom. The rest of the addition includes a finished laundry room and what I call a "wing" for their two daughters complete with a t.v and entertaining area that has a bright pink accent wall and a fire place.

What I love about this home is that everywhere you look there are pieces of reclaimed or refinished furniture and DIY projects galore. For example the vanity shown in the picture above (on the right) is a rescued dresser; they've even reconfigured the drawers so that they would be functional while allowing the plumbing to run to the sink (which looks more like an expensive bowl than a spot to spit your toothpaste). Also, the bed in the master suite (pictured above) was a handmade project along with the beds in most of the rooms...and that's just the beginning. Upon visiting you might find yourself saying "Wow, I really like that table/chair/bed/headboard/pool lounger etc. Where did you get it?" and the answer will be..."We made it!"

It is a dream of ours to get out into the country and renovate an old farm house, plant a garden and maybe raise some chickens and this renovation project is a true inspiration. Mark and Debbie have created their dream home and did it with hard work, craftsmanship and a ton of imagination and they now have a home that truly reflects their personality, which I think should be the ultimate goal of any reno project.

Oh, did I mention they've also added a pool...and did I mention they have horses? A complete dream right?

Photos: by me, Kinga Subject, except the photos on the left page of the magazine spread which were done by Peter Lee. 


3 comments:

inspirationCOOPERATIVE said...

Wow, the results are stunning! Great things are always worth the wait. Love the stripes of gray and the black doors...and horses and a pool? Just stop it.
Thanks for sharing!

Lauren said...

Gorgeous house! I just love the pink fireplace wall. We have a pink wall in our living room, but it isn't nearly that vibrant. Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos and their beautiful home

Tina Riddell (living fresh) said...

Stunning home! They have done a fabulous job. Congratulations to them on the feature in the Grand Magazine!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...