Nov 15, 2011

Picture postcard...{2}
















































The postcard I am sharing with you today was sent through the mail system in 1959. What grabbed me about this card is the image on the front; it's a depiction of a boat pulling away from a harbour and the text at the bottom of the card reads "Toronto from the Bay". 

Souvenir postcards from Toronto in present day look nothing like this one. They mostly show photos taken at night from the water capturing the impressive city skyline and of course Toronto's treasure, the CN Tower. I appreciate the way in which this card shows the passing of time. If it weren't labeled I would have never known it was Toronto in the background and I love how moody the city looks, kind of dramatic and mysteriously lurking.

I wish I could read the text but all I can make out is that the author is asking the recipient a favour because he plans on staying in Toronto for a while longer...
"Not because I do not like the state because I do, very much, so much that I think I will return although I have good prospects here"

And so I am left wondering, did this person stay in Toronto or move along? Did his prospects pan out? Did he find a job in Toronto? Maybe love? Maybe both?...I wonder...

Wishing you a great Tuesday!

Photos by: me, Kinga Subject

6 comments:

Lauren said...

Oh! This is terrific! What a great glimpse into someone's life. Where are you finding the cards, do you mind my asking?

Kate said...

I love reading old postcards when I come across them in antique shops. It's so interesting to fill in the gaps of what the person's life must have been like. I'm loving this post!

Kinga said...

Lauren - Thanks! I love the glimpse into the past as well...they always spark my imagination. I pick through piles of them at antique shops and markets. I will be sharing more of my favourites over the coming weeks.

Kate - Thank you! Yeah I can spend hours at antique shops just going through post cards. I don't collect much but I'm always on the lookout for sweet postcards...especially really old ones.

leah of sang the bird said...

This is so beautiful. I do the same thing... imagine lives, loves, experiences...
Old poststcards hold an old style romance for me. So lovely x

Lauren said...

Can't wait to see more!

Carla said...

HI Kinga, you clever girl. I love these postcards but most of all I love the way you have shot them. so beautiful.. Your blog is looking amazing. Carla

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...