Nov 22, 2011

Picture postcard...{3}























The author of this postcard sent it from Spain while on vacation abroad in 1970. It reads:

     "Had a 12 hr wait. Rained in at Niagara Falls. Stayed the night. Went to Buffalo airport. Got on plane to Palma and left at 4:30 pm. Arrived at Lisbon Portugal at 5:30 am Sun. Arrived at Palma at 7:20 am Sun. Finally! Had a breakfast of buns and tea. Went to bed. Got up for lunch and sat at pool. Went back to bed. Going to go to pearl factory and leather factory tomorrow. Meals so far are LOUSY. Will loose a lot of weight for wedding. Nice flight. Got many autographs. Temp is about 60. Rooms are alright but very cold. Thursday to Tunis. Saturday to caves of Drac. Hope it gets better soon. Love Brenda"

I can't quite put my finger on it but for some reason this card makes me giggle. Perhaps it's the theatrical image on the front of the Ballet Español, Los Flamencos or perhaps it's the choppy short sentence style of writing from our author Brenda who is clearly unhappy on vacation and is thus reciting her itinerary. I especially love that she accounts for the times when vacation was so dreadful that she went to bed. She is however seeing a bright side to the food being lousy...weight loss...and also she is going to the Caves of Drach which should definitely cheer her up...although...if sitting by the pool made her feel like going to bed I can only imagine what the caves will do. Also, I'm glad she got many autographs on her flight; she must have been flying with some really famous people and that's always fun! Burt Reynolds maybe?

Although this may have been an awful trip for poor Brenda it still somehow makes me want to travel...just so I can send a touristy postcard...Do you ever send postcards from places you're visiting?

Photo by: me, Kinga Subject, photo of Ballet Espanol, Los Flamencos...sadly unknown. 

4 comments:

Daniella said...

Ha, that's a funny one. I usually do send postcards, one to my Granny in Scotland and my Grama who lives here. It's just fun to send something out, even if they do get it by the time i'm home again, lol...

Michelle * Viva Revival said...

Haha that's really cool! I feel so nosy, reading Brenda's postcard. It makes me want to go to the antique store and read some more.

Kinga said...

Daniella - I love getting postcards from people on vacation...although it doesn't happen much these days. I think it's sweet you send them to your grand-mothers...Hope you're well!

Michelle - Yeah it made me feel a bit nosy too...especially because this one wasn't written that long ago (1970)...I wonder if her trip ended up getting better...it still made me giggle though (and that's maybe a bit mean).

inspirationCOOPERATIVE said...

Ha-ha, this made me laugh. Your wit and sense of humor come across perfectly in your writing. Loving your postcard series. Definitely need to send more postcards, along with letters and snail-mail in general.
Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...