Nov 30, 2011

Picture postcards...{4}























I am back today with another fun postcard. This is the oldest one I have and it was sent in 1906 before writing was allowed on the back which was reserved for the address only. It reads...

Alpine Tavern, Nov.7.06
Dear Grandpa
Mamma, Papa and I arrived here last night at 5:30, all well, I fed the Bears to-day, 
everything is fine here, will write you soon.
James

Short, sweet and to the point. James must have been really excited to share that he fed the bears at Alpine Tavern and in present day that share would have been immediate, probably over the phone or via video chat so it makes me wonder how long this message would have taken to reach his grandpa. Days? Weeks? Also, If you look at the back of the card you'll see that the postal stamp reads Echo Mountain so I did some good old fashioned research (I googled it) and found this website which tells all about Ye Alpine Tavern on Echo Mountain and the adventures to be had there. It's an interesting read, especially the bits about the "hair-lifting" mode of transportation people endured to get there which had something to do with electric rails scaling a mountain and a circular bridge...Crazy! You may also want to check out this page because it shows photos of the area in its prime.

 I appreciate this card for where it comes from and also for how old it is but my favourite part is the caption under the donkeys...it reads "When shall we three meet again?" and it confuses me a bit. There are only two donkeys pictured so am I to assume then that the third donkey...or ass...is the recipient? Is James calling his grandpa an ass?...

Photos by: me, Kinga Subject

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Ha! I love your interpretation of this! Keep 'em coming; I love these stories!

Heather said...

I love your postcard series! And that he might be inadvertently calling his grandfather an ass.

leah said...

Lovely series. You must have an awesome collection x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...