Nov 1, 2011

The sketchbook project...

I'm pretty excited to share that I finally received my sketchbook for The Sktechbook Project in the mail. It is a tiny little book that fit in our tiny little mailbox and I cannot wait to start filling it up. In staying true to my crazy sketchbook ways I'll probably start somewhere in the middle of the book...or at least a few pages in. I never start on the first page because if the first thing I put in there is complete garbage then I don't want it to set the tone for the rest of the book by being on the introductory page. Is that crazy? Probably! 

In fact, now that I think of it...most of my books, especially the more recent ones, have a blank first page. I was also once a crazy page ripper-outer...but I'm learning to hang on to the ugly stuff and instead write notes beside things like "What the hell is this? This isn't a giraffe! This looks like a one eyed camel with horns..."

Do you have any odd sketchbook habits? Do you rip out pages you don't like? Do you panic about the idea of someone thumbing through your creative craziness?

Photos by: me, Kinga Subject

5 comments:

Daniella said...

Oh dear, I totally do the same thing! I've ripped out pages, i've glued pages over top, I even ripped out the entire front half one time, lol. I always feel like the first page has to be the "clean page" too.

This project you're doing sounds neat though! Hope we get to see some of your sketches.

Lauren said...

Always love coming to see your photography...I don't sketch, but I do write, and ouch, it's hard to go back and see some of the stuff I've written. And then the pages get torn out!

Michelle * Viva Revival said...

I got mine too! Hehe, don't be surprised if you see a very similar post from me soon. I've already taken the pics of my sketchbook. :-) I'm just waiting until I actually draw something. Yeah...hasn't happened yet. I want to make sure whatever I do, I don't mess it up!

Kinga said...

Daniella - That's funny. I think it's a kind of sketchbook OCD, lol! I try not to rip out too many pages because then the book falls apart...so I paint over ugly pages...

Lauren - I totally hear what your saying...I don't keep a journal for that exact reason.

Michelle - That's great! Can't wait to see the photos/sketches...I'm really glad I signed up ;)...even convinced a friend to do it. Great thing is it's a small-ish book so it's not too daunting.

Tracey Fisher said...

That is not crazy - it is genuis - I always, always hate my first few pages. From now on ... I start in the middle ...LOVE your blog! Beautiful images.
Thanks
Tracey

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...