Dec 1, 2011

Let yourself off the hook...




















































Hello friends...In the past few weeks I have been working hard (too hard) at my duties for the shop trying to finish designs, prints, and packaging so I could launch in time for Christmas. Some of the supplies that I need for shipping haven't arrived yet and there is still so much to be done. It's amazing how twenty-four hours in the day are just not enough. I'd like to confess that I want to some day just work on my own projects...that's my wild little dream...to run my shop and my blog and take photos and be creative (ha, isn't that everyone's dream?)...but for now I have the day job...which helps fund it all...

Where am I going with this? Well if I have learned anything so far, it's this:

1) Do what you say you're going to do...
2) Don't put something out there that you don't feel is ready...

This is the dilemma. I said I would launch the shop by the end of November. That was my personal deadline and I put it out there as a big-bold-declaration...and then I realized very close to my deadline...that it's not ready. The shop is not ready...

And it's not that I don't have absolute faith in it because I do...I can't wait to share it, I love the direction in which it's going and I'm seeing the big picture and it's looking good and I want to put it out there but some very important bits are still missing...look at it this way...my shop, if it were a person going out into the world RIGHT NOW, would not be wearing pants....and I refuse to have a pants-less shop...well you know what I mean. So...

3) Let yourself off the hook...

That doesn't mean I'm stopping. I'm not giving up...I'm postponing the launch and in the meantime I'm simply putting on the finishing touches, paying attention to details, crossing the t's and dotting the i's, and making sure that the poor thing is wearing some really nice pants when she goes out for the big adventure.

I think in general that statement is so necessary...and just having typed it I feel like a weight has been lifted. Some days you just have to release the guilt or whatever other feelings come from not crossing everything off your to-do-list. You have to let yourself off the hook! You can't do everything and be everything to everyone...even if you have Siri the iPhone assistant...and if you can you're a superhero and should probably call me with your secret so we can go on Dragon's Den.

This is the gift I'm giving myself for Christmas. I'm letting myself off the hook. I'm going to bake some cookies and snap some photos and keep sharing my progress here and when and only when I am absolutely ready I will launch...and you WILL know about it...

Do you need to let yourself off the hook?...Try it...it feels pretty great!

xo, Kinga

11 comments:

Kate said...

Yes! I totally do. I was just stressing about not having posts scheduled for tomorrow when this popped up in my reader. This is just what I needed. I'm turning off the computer and going to bed!

leah of sang the bird said...

Awesome advice! {Just remember to follow it and be guilt free!} Good luck and i can't wait to see the shop, wearing her pants of course x

Lauren said...

Kinga, I think you are SO smart. I think it's so important that what you put out there is just what you want it to be...postponing is just the thing, and not giving yourself grief about it is even better. I think goals are so important. HAve you ever seen Pirates of the Caribbean? This line popped into my head: "They're more like guidelines, really."

Best of luck to you dear! You'll probably feel a great creative surge now that you've given yourself a break.

Lauren said...

Kinga, I saw these and thought of your macaroons! http://whatshehasfound.blogspot.com/2011/12/glittering-biscuits.html

Kinga said...

Thanks so much ladies for your sincere and heartfelt support. It really means alot to me and I love this blog community for being full of the kindest people...xoxo

Lauren...those glittery cuties look so yummy! Going to have to try glamifying my next batch of macarons...Thanks ;)

inspirationCOOPERATIVE said...

So happy to hear you're giving yourself this "off the hook" gift. Great things are worth the wait.
Hm, I'm thinking you should add macaroons to the shop :)

paperpeony said...

Hi Kinga - I can really identify with the position you are in and fully support your decision. I too had great aspirations for Christmas and as it turns out I just didn't have the time in a day to get to everything. So I am 'going small' this year and am at peace with that. I love your pants analogy! Feel good about your decision! Cath x

Liz said...

Kinga, I also have to put this into practice more! I think it's just in our nature to be harder on ourselves...but I think giving yourself this gift of slowing down is so important and worth listening to.

Tracey Fisher said...

Well said. This time of year seems to add a stress that seems to come out of no where. It must be overwhelming to try to launch something as well. As they say... good things come to those that wait. I am going to remember your mantra when I've taken on too much and things just don't feel right in my gut. Having said that ... looking forward to your shop ... when it's ready :)

Lelanie Slater said...

Hi Kinga,

I can totally relate. I have a similar shop launch dilemma. ;) And sometimes our self imposed deadlines are just too heavy. It's not easy letting yourself off the hook. I sure find it hard not being able to deliver on my promises, but I find solace in the fact that I did all I can and I worked as hard as I possibly could.

Thanks for showing me that we all need to 'let ourselves off the hook' sometimes.

Afterall it is the holidays. :)

PS- good luck with everything. Alls the best.
x

Kinga said...

inspirationCOOPERATIVE (Theresa), paperpeony (Cathy), Liz and Tracey...Thank you all as well for being so supportive. It makes blogging really meaningful to have such support and positive feedback! Much, much appreciated!

I was hesitatnt to write this post, pants analogy and all, but I'm glad I published it. Thank You All!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...