Dec 12, 2011

Meringue kisses for Christmas...











































For me, Christmas isn't the same without meringue kisses! When I was growing up these sugary sweet treats were my favourite holiday indulgence and we only ever made them at Christmas time. They are super easy to whip up and if you have kids they will love helping you! My mom always got me involved with making these and I was very proud to be in charge of adding the sugar bit by bit and putting sprinkles on as well as tying the strings on so we could hang these on our tree.

Because these cookies don't go stale, as long as you're not setting up your tree on the first day of October, they last a good while as decorations and you can eat them. I know they are traditional in many European countries along with hanging candies on the tree (which my mom still does) and I'm not talking about candy canes, I'm talking about yummy chocolates with gooey goodness on the inside wrapped in fancy paper. When we were kids, my brother and I used to sneak these candies from the tree leaving the wrappers behind and stuffing them with bits of crumpled paper so our parents didn't know we stole the insides. That could of course get embarrassing for mom when she'd invite our guests to take a candy from the tree...

I love these meringue kisses because you can make them look really fancy, you can add sprinkles or dust them with cocoa and you can make them any colour or flavour you wish because the basic ingredients are egg whites and sugar. With these ones though, I wasn't too worried about making them fancy. I wanted them to be playful and imperfect, like a kid had made them, because after all, they remind me of my childhood.

Do you hang anything edible on your tree? Cranberries, popcorn garlands, cookies or candy?

Photos by: me, Kinga Subject....ps, if you'd like the recipe I'd be glad to send it along. 


Note: I feel the need to clarify that you shouldn't leave these cookies out for a long  period of time (like weeks lol). We used to put up our tree on the 24th of December and all the meringue decorations would be gone in the following day or two...so if you make them, put them on your tree for a short time only...they are so good they shouldn't last too long anyway. 

10 comments:

Kate said...

These are beautiful! I love how light and airy your photos are.

Catherine said...

Your pictures are superbe, as always! What a nice Christmas moment shared with us!

Michelle * Viva Revival said...

Beautiful, of course! Haha that's too funny that you'd stuff them again. We never had anything edible except for candy canes. That's a great idea though, I wouldn't have to pack them back up after Christmas, which is the worst part!

Tina Riddell said...

Beautiful Kinga! We never put edible ornaments on our tree, but I may need to change that! I love these, so simple yet elegant.

I would love the recipe, please!

N8sGr8s said...

Beautiful. I would love the recipe. Thanks.

inspirationCOOPERATIVE said...

As always, impeccably and beautifully styled. We never put anything edible on the tree, but I am now totally rethinking that notion. You've inspired me...

Lauren said...

I LOVE meringue. I'm honestly not sure they'd last on our tree more than an afternoon. It gives me an idea for a quickie neighbor gift though (we have a progressive dinner on the 23rd). And as always, your styling is so stunning. I'm envious.

Kinga said...

Kate - Thank you, you're sweet!

Catherine - Thanks so much!

Michelle - I'm with you, decorating for Christmas is fun but then packing it all away...that's a task for the husband.

Tina - Thank you! I will send that recipe today! I should probably start listing them in my posts.

N8s GR8s - Will send it along to you as well!

Theresa - Thanks. You're all too kind! It's definitely fun having treats all over the tree...

Lauren - Thanks and I think meringues would be a nice thing to bring to dinner...they melt in your mouth...who wouldn't like them?

Tracey Fisher said...

So yummy. I love them on the manzanita branch ... so pretty.

BlueBerry Ash said...

So peaceful and beautiful photography Kinga! In our family we hang chocolates and cookies :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...