Dec 23, 2011

Picture postcard...{5}






















































It is hard to believe that today is December 23rd already. Where has the time gone? This year just  flew on by! Today I am sharing with you a postcard that was written on Dec 23, 1910 in Ottawa (Canada's Capital). The postcard has an image of Parliament House on the front and the back reads...

Hull  Dec, 23, 1910
Hello Jennie
Long time since I have heard from you. 
I would like to hear from you.
Just home for xmas, going back to 
Silver Centre next week.
Your friend, 
Cliff


Wishing you a very merry xmas. (written along the top of the card)

Just a simple card between friends and yet there is an underlying sense of longing. Perhaps Cliff would have liked to be more than just friends with Jennie who lived all the way in Pilot Mound, Manitoba. Did she feel the same way about him? Was she longing to hear from him as well?

I wondered where Silver Centre existed at the time...was it a town, a place of work, a school? Upon doing some quick google searches I found that Silver Centre is now a ghost town in Northeastern Ontario but at the beginning of the twentieth century it was a booming silver mine town. By 1908 there were believed to be 1500 men in the region looking for silver and working for the various mines.

Isn't it the case that at Christmas we long for our loved ones who are far away? We think of those we love and wish we could see them, hear from them, spend time with them at this special time of year. I hope Cliff also received a card from Jennie that Christmas and I hope it made his holidays merry and bright.

And, to our own family far far away, scattered throughout the world, we are thinking of you, longing for you and wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a blessed new year!

Photos by: me, Kinga Subject

4 comments:

Daniella said...

Such a great postcard! It's neat when you can actually read the back. I wonder who those people were, you know?

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas Kinga! We should get together for a coffee or tea in the new year!

Lauren said...

I love your postcard posts Kinga! Thanks so much for sharing them. Hope you have the merriest of Christmases and find much joy in the new year.

Tracey Fisher said...

So sweet. I love your tree as well. Beautiful. Have a wonderful holiday.

Kinga said...

Daniella - Thanks so much and same to you! I hope you had a fabulous holiday and best wishes for the new year...and yes, a coffee date is a must!

Lauren - Thank you! I'm glad you love these postcards as much as i do...may the new year bring you all the best and I hope you had an amazing Christmas.

Tracey - Thanks and same to you. Wishing you a blessed new year ahead!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...