Jan 26, 2012

Generating piles...



















































I was on the Poketo site browsing a while back and came across a wallet that has the art of Mike Perry on it. I read the blurb at the side about Mike and discovered this gem...

Doodling away night and day, Perry creates new typefaces and sundry graphics that inevitably evolve into his new work; exercising the great belief that the generating of piles is the sincerest form of the creative process. “

Anything that even remotely describes someone’s creative process is a treasure for me. I want to save it, put it in a box, keep it fresh in a zip-loc bag, near by, so I can reference it on those days when my own process seems to be misbehaving/ failing/non-existent. This is by far one of my favourites “exercising the great belief that the generating of piles is the sincerest form of the creative process” and I come back to it often. I think I identify with it because so often I sit down to do work and can’t get much out...especially if there is a plan. I freeze up if things aren’t going according to that plan (not a good thing to admit) then, when I am doodling while watching t.v or at a coffee shop I usually end up with bits and pieces that evolve into finished work. It's interesting how that works (and kind of obvious, I know); that when there’s no self-imposed pressure there is better flow. Mike's "great belief" implies that to get to good work you just have to do work...a lot of it...enough to make piles...

Sometimes when I'm having a creative malfunction I find myself saying...(to myself, because I'm cool like that)...”go generate some piles”...   

Photos by: me, Kinga Subject

8 comments:

Michelle * Viva Revival said...

That is so true. It seems the more you do something (even if you think it's going nowhere) the easier ideas flow. It's hard work to be creative. I love your horse!

Kinga said...

Michelle - Thanks...I bought that horse because he's smiling...I can't help but giggle when I look at it...and what's with his tail? Hope you're well!xo

Tracey Fisher said...

I'm really good at the piles. Not so good at the evolution part. Thank you for the beautiful inspiration ... your doodles look amazing.

Kinga said...

Tracey - Thank you! I'm glad you found this inspiring...

Lauren said...

Even your piles look serene!

Kate said...

These are beautiful! If generating piles is a form of creativity then I must be VERY creative :)

Franka said...

Wonderful pics!

♥ Franka

Anna said...

I found your sketches at Kate's Sketch and Wash blog and they were beautiful! I had so much problems while submitting my own for Kate - don't know exactly why, but I think it must have something to do with the fact that I did it for someone else and I was so obsessed about it looking pretty.

But, just as you, I seem to relax much more with other things happening around me, and the result also gets so much better. Funny how that works!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...