Jan 24, 2012

Picture postcard {6}...





































Hello again....today I am sharing yet another postcard...as you can tell I could probably keep this going forever. This card is from 1909, Chingford Essex and it reads...

{addressed to Miss N. Hambly}
6.11.09
I had almost for-gotten to let you know about this evening -
I had taken it for granted that you would know.
Y

Why do I get the sense that this was a romantic exchange? I'm going to let my imagination run wild here and postulate that Y is a young man who has fallen in love Miss N Hambly. On the evening of June 11, 1909 he had a gathering, an elegant soiree with good friends, classmates and neighbours. They enjoyed fabulous food and a great deal of laughter. When the sun went down they sat around a fire with wool blankets, mulled wine and hot cocoa. Y and Miss N sat beside each-other, sharing stories about their lives, getting to know what makes the other laugh, falling in love. When everyone went home, Y couldn't sleep. He could not stop thinking about Miss N and before another minute could pass he decided to write her a note on a beautiful card hoping she would get the sense that he was grateful he invited her...and maybe she would read between the lines and see that he would love to spend more time with her...

Mysterious and charming...I'm with my imagination on this one, it is definitely a love note...you can't convince me otherwise...

Photos by: me, Kinga Subject

1 comment:

Daniella said...

Aw, this is a great one! Love the roses too...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...