Jun 5, 2012

Drawing with light...




























I'm in a cheery mood today so I thought I'd share these fun experiments from Times Square. I've done these kind of photos in the past and shared them here but I still wonder sometimes if I should be sharing these at all because they're kind of odd and I'm not sure how they fit. I like abstraction a fair bit and this kind of thing definitely appeals to me but it may not be your cup of tea so if it isn't...too bad! I'm joking...if it isn't your thing, maybe the happy colours at least brightened your day!

People sometimes ask how to do this so here's the short answer: I slow down my shutter speed to one or two seconds (sometimes more) and also close down the aperture...then after realeasing the shutter I move the camera around (in some of these cases I was waving the camera like a crazy person...people stared at me...it was awkward). You can also achieve this by putting your camera on a tripod and moving the light-source around...for example taking photos with sparklers in a dark field.

Anyway, that last photo above...I call it "The Golden Arches"...can you guess why?  

Photos by me

6 comments:

Michelle * Viva Revival said...

I think they fit in because they're awesome photos. Thanks for the info, I would love to try this some time.

Kinga said...

Thanks Michelle...definitely give it a try...you might get addicted!

Hilary Inspired said...

Actually, Kinga, I really love them!! You've captured some beautiful patterns and textures in these and the colors are brilliant. I'm a big fan of abstraction too and enjoy wondering at the story behind the blur. Thanks as always for sharing! It definitely brightened my day.

Webdesign Belgium said...

Wonderful Design Blogs, Such a great list. Thanks for sharing all these blogs all are very useful to every one

Webdesign Belgium

Whimsy and Juno said...

Love the photos! I visited Times Square for the first time last year and I think your pics definitely capture the excited, frenetic essence of the area! New York is a photographers dream, isn't it? Love the other photos you posted of the grand city too! :)

gudy herder said...

I believe those are awesome pictures ans yes, please share as they do reflect you a lot and being different is always great ( remember the "be authentic" lesson from Holly?). I love the ones from Monday, too. Gudy x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...