Jun 7, 2012

The High Line...


















My amazing friend Elisia is a passionate architect and she was very insistent that we visit The High Line while in New York. It is a project that is very important to her and she spoke about it with such fire that we just couldn't resist....(she probably would have gone without the rest of us anyway...but I'm glad we accompanied her)! This place is AMAZING!

It is a public park "built on a historic freight rail line elevated above the streets on Manhattan’s West Side". The original tracks were rescued from demolition by an organization called Friends of the High Line who continue to advocate for the "transformation and preservation" of this raised railway system. There is still a section of the High Line at the West Side Rail Yards that has not yet been secured for this transformation to take place but the organization is working closely with the City of New York to make sure it gets turned into public park space as well for all to enjoy.

There are so many unique features to this "park" that you get completely enchanted by it as you walk from beginning to end. There are gardens along the way and covered areas where trains used to travel through buildings. There are benches to sit and take in the views, green lawns to sit and have a picnic, ice cream vendors for cooling off, washrooms and even elevators making The High Line completely wheelchair accessible. My photos don't do this park justice so if you're interested to learn more head over to The High Line website and check out this short video telling the long history of this amazing space...And of course if you visit New York in the future, head on down to the Meat Packing District and take a leisurely stroll along The High Line to West Chelsea...if not for me, do it for Elisia...she would want you to...trust me!

Happy Thursday to you!

Photos by me.

3 comments:

cURioSItaELlyA said...

Hi Kinga,
Believe it or not I have been in The High Line Park. My friend invited me to have a picnic next week. So I am very excited to go. Your photos are amazing, I love those panoramic pictures....!! I found you through forum BYW 2.0 'photography'
Please keep in touch !

Kate said...

Last time I went to New York I went with my architecture studio, and I skipped out on visiting the High Line to go see Wicked. It was worth it, but it's on the top of my list for my next trip! It looks amazing! Your trip sounds like it was wonderful, and your pictures are beautiful as usual :)

AnastasiaC said...

my hubby and I spent two weeks in NYC and visited the High Line - what a unique spot in the city - loved it!
saying Hi from BYW2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...