Aug 14, 2012

A workshop at Silverplate Press...





























































On Sunday morning I piled a mountain of paper into my car and eagerly headed off to Toronto for a letterpress workshop at Silverplate Press. When I heard that she was going to teach workshops, I literally pole-vaulted myself at the chance to learn from my amazing friend Amanda who literally literally has the largest Vandercook proof press in all of Toronto... in her living room! Lit-er-a-lly!

I think it takes an amazing kind of person to teach what they know and to share their passion in a selfless way to help someone else grow or become inspired. Amanda is that kind of person! Completely willing to share the joy that this press, this monumental piece of history, brings to her life! She just glows talking about all things letterpress and Vandercook and I came away from the experience completely lifted and inspired...maybe I should have titled this post "How Kinga got her Groove Back"...

I took the workshop with another letterpress printer, Tanya from Snap + Tumble  which was also a treat because she is a very experienced letterpress printer herself and teaches workshops on tabletop presses. She came up with and set the above alphabet poster and with Amanda's gentle guidance we printed away into the afternoon.

Amanda, I can't tell you how awesome and much needed this day was...I am completely inspired to put my own little press to work and eager to collect some bigger pieces of equipment (and type) for my studio. Thanks so much for sharing your love for letterpress and for sharing your Vandercook...I WILL be taking this workshop again!
I am working on some business cards for a good friend that I will be printing on my press in the very near future so this workshop came at the right time....I am so ridiculously inspired...it's ridiculous! Thank You!

For info on the workshop visit Silverplate Press.
To take a tabletop press workshop visit Snap + Tumble

3 comments:

Tanya said...

Kinga, it was so nice to meet you and I agree with everything you said about Amanda and her workshop.

I'm also inspired your work...I am very much looking forward to seeing the rest of your animal alphabet prints!

Daniella said...

Aw, fun! Love the alphabet poster! Happy to hear you're inspired again too :)

Kinga said...

@Tanya - Thank you! It was so nice meeting you and as I get rolling with my press I will definitely have questions for you! Best wishes!

@Daniella - Thank You...Amanda is amazing on that gigantic press of hers! I had so much fun! I have extras of that poster too...you can have one ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...