Oct 14, 2012

Letterpress business cards...finally!






















































As you can tell, my letterpress obsessions have not lessened...in fact it's getting worse. It is all I can think about and all I want to be doing. I have been focusing all of my energies for a long while on silk-screening and now I am kind of kicking myself and wondering why. Don't get me wrong I love silk-screening too but I don't love the whole process. I don't love the gooey emulsion and the need for complete darkness when exposing. I don't love the noise from the pressure washer and I don't love that when prints aren't working out it could be because of any number of factors...It is an extremely finicky process that can make you want to pull out your hair often and troubleshooting is hard...at least it is for me anyway. It makes me a bit anxious at times...but not letterpress.

I find letterpress completely calming and trouble shooting is so much easier. I love the sounds my press makes and that most problems can be solved with a few mechanical adjustments. I LOVE it!
Yesterday was a really fun day in the studio! We were excitedly awaiting the arrival of my brother's baby girl, so between updates from the hospital Nathan helped me set up and print a few of my business cards. Finally!

I love how they turned out and the feel of that heavy card with a slight impression...perfect, like our new little niece!!
Anyway, I hope you've had a wonderful weekend too...

Photos by me, Kinga Subject

6 comments:

Amanda Keenan said...

I knew the letterpress bug would bite you eventually! It was only a matter of time. It's totally addicting, which I know you know. :) Your cards turned out beautifully! Keep it up! :)

Daniella said...

Aw yay! That's so cool Kinga! Nice cards. I have to come see one day!

Aine Teahan said...

I LOVE your new cards Kinga. Are you planning to make these for others? If so, I'd be very interested :)

Punctuation Mark said...

They look really cool! Have a nice one!

Sam | ashore said...

Kinga, I really relate to what you wrote about "trouble shooting". I feel completely at the mercy of my computer or phone, but there is something so soothing about the tactile action of readjusting something you understand.

Once I was being careless and a dropped my film camera (my most favorite thing) smack dab on the ground. It cracked the glass in the front of the lens and I was devastated. I've gotten so used to the "throw away" nature of technology today - that when I got to the camera place and he unscrewed the piece and replaced it for $10 I felt like jumping for joy!

That made me so much more brave! When something is wrong now, I'll open up the camera back and read the manual. It feels good.

Waseem said...

that's cool and nice cards..I have to use these on day for Metal business cards.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...